There are plenty of reasons why eating a healthy breakfast is important:
- Boosts your metabolism – good news for anyone trying to lose weight, especially those who have hit the dreaded middle age metabolism slow down.
- Helps keep blood sugar levels even throughout the day.
- Reduces risk of overeating later in the day.
A healthy breakfast means a small serving of complex carbs and lean protein. Sneak in a serving of vegetables and you’ll be off to a good start. However, mornings are the busiest part of the day for most people so it’s easy to skip it, just drink coffee, or grab a doughnut from the coffee shop.
Whipping up protein-packed omelet probably isn’t going to make the list. Having a home freeze dryer means you can make a big batch of your favorite healthy morning noshes ahead of time, portion them into airtight containers, and rehydrate in just minutes.
Some of our favorite breakfast foods to freeze dry are homemade oatmeal or bran muffins, scrambled eggs with vegetables, and fruit for topping Greek yogurt (you can even freeze dry the yogurt).
- To freeze dry scrambled eggs, cook as you normally would then process in the freeze dryer in a thin layer. Package into family-size or individual portions in airtight containers. To rehydrate, just add warm or hot water until they return to their original consistency.
- To freeze dry muffins, process in the freeze dryer then store in an airtight container. To rehydrate, spritz with warm water.
- To freeze dry fruit, slice thinly and place in a single layer on freeze dryer trays to process. Store in an airtight container. Toss them in yogurt, cereal, or steel cut oats. They’ll begin to rehydrate on their own. We also like freeze dried fruit without rehydrating because it has a satisfying crunch and a wonderfully intense flavor.
- To freeze dry yogurt, spread on trays in a thin layer. Break apart into chunks when it’s done and keep it in an airtight container. You can reconstitute it by stirring in water, but freeze-dried yogurt is also delicious as is.
Use your home freeze dryer to improve your breakfast habits and you may just improve your entire day.