We live in an era of advanced technology, rapidly improving medicine, and strong scientific progress. But like any other era, we’re still susceptible to disasters, both man-made and natural, that can put ourselves and our loved ones in danger. It’s as important as ever to maintain an emergency food storage as a key element of our disaster preparation plan. With a freeze dryer from Harvest Right, you can create your own emergency food storage easily.
History Has Taught it is Best to Live Prepared
Conditions can change quickly, no matter where you live, and food can go from readily available to scarce in a matter of days following a major supply chain interruption. Recent history and the current political climate are full of examples of why we need to be actively preparing for possible disaster. Here are a few reasons why it’s important to have an emergency food supply on hand.
- Military Conflict – America is at odds with several nations and terrorist groups—many of who are armed with or have access to nuclear weapons. What would happen if a nuclear attack happened near your home?
- Middle East – Several nations and terrorist organizations in the Middle East are in constant conflict with the United States. Many of these nations and groups are looking for a way to harm the United States.
- North Korea – Over the years, North Korea has accelerated their nuclear program and they are test firing missiles that are capable of carrying nuclear weapons almost daily.
- Russia – Tensions with Russia are a cause for concern as they are one of the world’s most well-armed nations.
- Major Earthquake Zones – Large areas in the United States are at risk for major earthquakes, and there is no way to prevent them. An earthquake causes major disruptions to society and our supply chain.
- Washington, Oregon, California, Utah, Wyoming, Missouri, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Kentucky, Illinois, Hawaii, and Alaska are all within major earthquake zones, and many are due for a large earthquake soon. Some of these predicted earthquakes would be large enough to completely disrupt normal life for long periods of time.
- Drought and Lowered Food Output
- In the 1930s, the United States suffered terrible drought. Farms failed by the thousands, and hundreds of thousands of people were left with no ability to grow food. The economy suffered greatly, and American life was disrupted nationwide. Another major drought could cause famine-like conditions regionally or possibly even nationally.
- Economic Depression
- Over the years, we have seen many serious recessions and depressions in the economy. As a result, many families have lost their savings, their sources of income, and even their homes.
- Collapse of the U.S. Dollar
- Currently the national debt is at a level where there is serious danger to the future value of the dollar. With the debt-to-GDP ratio above 100%, the value of the dollar could easily slide to a point where it becomes nearly worthless. The cost of goods relative to the value of the dollar would skyrocket.
- Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) – An event that can be caused naturally (solar flare) or as a result of a military strike (advanced weapon technology), an electromagnetic pulse can shut down the electrical grid for extended periods of time.
- A large-scale attack on the electrical grid could make it impossible to communicate via TV, radio, and the Internet. Computer systems would fail, making it impossible to access your bank accounts or pay for necessities.
- An EMP would cause a total disruption in transportation. Food shortages would occur in most places within a matter of days, and it would be very difficult for local and national governments to organize relief in a timely manner.
Create Your Own Food Storage with a Freeze Dryer
It’s easy to create your own food storage with a freeze dryer. Whether you’re preserving full meals, fruits, vegetables, meats, pastas, or even just ingredients, everything you freeze dry is easy to store and will be ready for when you need it.