Freeze-dried fruit is so versatile. It’s delicious on its own, but crush it into a powder and it becomes a magic ingredient in recipes. One of our favorite ways to use powdered fruit is in pancakes. It turns the batter a fun shade of pink – perfect for delighting kids or making Valentine’s Day breakfast.
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a bowl sift together flour, strawberry powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl beat the eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- While butter is melting on a griddle, combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Ladle 1/4 cup of the batter onto the griddle in a heart-shaped pancake mold and cook until bubbles break the surface.
- Flip and cook about 1 minute more on the other side.
- Repeat with remaining batter, adding butter to the skillet as needed.
Now that you’ve got the hang of it, you can experiment with adding other fruits such as bananas, raspberries, and blueberries to pancakes and waffle batters.